1.0.0-beta.2 error: "Failed to scan system volumes"

Thanks for the DM: that run was successful (which is good news and bad news: good that it normally (?) works, bad news that this is a heisenbug.

Iā€™m not getting the lighter fluid quite yet, but Iā€™ll think about how try to prevent this in the future.

This issue still persists in 1.0.0-beta.11.

PhotoStructure for Desktops, Windows 10.

(Failed to scan system volumes)

Sorry about that: can you send me your logs so I can see whatā€™s failing?

Just FYI, my VPN network drive is currently offline - and has been for about a week.

Knowing that, would you still need to see logs? Or would this crashing be expected behavior when a network drive is offline?

Side note- it would be super awesome if someday in a future version users could opt out of having PhotoStructure constantly scanning all of their volumes. I understand the premise, but in my case my pictures will always be on the same driveā€¦ and I promise the drive letter will never change. :grin:

Cheers,

Rodger.

1 Like

Thatā€™d be great to isolate whatā€™s actually failing.

No: that should be an expected situation, and PhotoStructure should handle it gracefully: and certainly not crash.

You can set volumeMetadataTtlMs to something gigantic: a day in milliseconds is 86400000:

By default, volumes should only be scanned by main, once, and then shared across processes via rpc until a new volume is mounted or an hour elapses (whatever comes first).

I was thinking about this a bit more, and the only reason why I scan volume metadata is to make sure PhotoStructure pauses the sync if disk space gets tight.

If thereā€™s plenty of disk space available on the cache and library volumes, PhotoStructure can safely cache volume metadata for a long while, because PhotoStructure knows it isnā€™t in a danger zone.

I also just realized that PhotoStructure can gracefully ignore any errors fetching volume metadata for volumes that arenā€™t being read from or written to. Iā€™ll see how doable that is.

@Rodger thanks again for the suggestion!

volume handling was extensively reworked (again) in beta.13. @Rodger are you still seeing this issue after upgrading?

Beta.13 was still crashing daily, but I apologize I didnā€™t jot down or notice the exact error. I just upgraded to beta.14, and will play close attention.