Ability to quickly favorite a photo while browsing

I’m happy to see this feature in the latest alpha release! I wanted to highlight one thing I noticed in hopes to prevent somebody from having to do a lot of double work.

By default, Photostructure stores a “favorite” as a 3-star rating (out of 5 stars). This is configurable via the likeRating settings.toml entry. You can set likeRating = 5 if you want your favorites to have 5 stars, for instance.

I went ahead and set likeRating = 5, but only after favoriting a few photos under the default like rating. After restarting Photostructure, the photos that I had previously favorited were no longer favorites. I favorited them again, and the files were updated with a five-star rating.

The moral of the story: make sure you set your desired likeRating BEFORE you start favoriting photos in Photostructure, otherwise you may have to re-favorite after making a change.

1 Like

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I wonder if that got finally solved and how.

I remember using Google Picasa and just tagging any picture as favorite while browsing with a simple press of the spacebar (if you pressed it back, the “star” dissapeared with a cool animation, it was great), and I’d like to be able to do something like that in Photostructure.

There is no shortcut for marking a picture as favorite. My vote here would be to clone Picasa’s system: a simple boolean (a ‘star’ or a ‘heart’) and then a ‘Liked’ or ‘Favorites’ category with all those pictures tagged with that ‘star’.

This old video shows the thing, but the user clicks on the star icon instead of just pressing the spacebar. Anyway, I loved this feature and I’d love to see it in PhotoStructure :slight_smile:

Version 2.1 (currently in alpha) implements this feature: PhotoStructure | How to archive, remove, and delete photos and videos in your PhotoStructure library

The keyboard shortcut is L (for “like”) or *. Making the spacebar be fave is interesting, I’ll try that and see what breaks.

1 Like

Point 1:
Search abbreviation faved is past tense whereas the full favorite is present tense. You can keep faved, but intuitively I would expect to be able to use abbreviation fave and/or fav.

Point 2:
How should it work once PhotoStructure supports multiple users? I suspect different users will want different favorites/ratings. Perhaps in addition to the Rating / RatingPercent metadata tag which stores the most recent rating, PhotoStructure could add/update a hierarchical tag based on which user is making the edit?

Alice wants to view Bob’s favorite pictures, so searches for:
fave kw:favorite/bob:>=4

Eve wants to view pictures of Alice with a rating from Bob or Carol of at least 4, so searches for:
fav who:alice (kw:favorite/bob:>=4 OR kw:favorite/charlie:>=3)

Good point! I’ll fix it.

My current thinking is that an asset has an inherent rating that is assignable by “library owners.” That’s what the fave button assigns currently.

Once there are users, they can add “reactions” to an asset (presumably with an emoji). If you think in SQL, this new reaction table is asset-id, user-id, reaction, and timestamps.