New Files Are Not Pulled Into the Library

Thank you for your work on this!

At least there’s an easy workaround to click Restart Sync until it can be fixed

OK OK V1.0.0-beta.10 released 🎉

5 Likes

For the people that upgraded to beta.10 or later: are you seeing the sync get rescheduled daily?

I’ll be looking at this tomorrow morning, as I dropped a bunch of new files earlier today!

At what time does the scheduled sync run? I dropped some new files yesterday that are not yet showing in Photostructure.

So at this point I can confirm that new photos are still not being pulled in on beta 12.

Here’s the output from info --sync-paths:

[
  {
    nativePath: '/photos/',
    uri: 'psfile://3HZ4UtEZv/',
    lastUpdatedAt: 2021072021454327,
    lastCompletedAt: 2021072021454327,
    lastStartedAt: 2021072021405619
  },
  {
    nativePath: '/ps/library',
    uri: 'pslib:/',
    lastUpdatedAt: 2021072021454343,
    lastCompletedAt: 2021072021454338,
    lastStartedAt: 2021072021454330
  },
  nextPathToSync: '/ps/library',
  restartSyncAt: '(sync is overdue!)'
]

OK. I’ve updated the sync rescheduler in beta.13 to run every hour with logging, so it’ll be way faster to debug.

2 Likes

Is there an ETA (other than soon™) on beta.13?

FYI, here’s what my sync-paths looks like currently:

[
  {
    nativePath: '/photos/',
    uri: 'psfile://3HZ4UtEZv/',
    lastUpdatedAt: 2021080517460945,
    lastCompletedAt: 2021080506421744,
    lastStartedAt: 2021080506421741
  },
  {
    nativePath: '/ps/library',
    uri: 'pslib:/',
    lastUpdatedAt: 2021080506421748,
    lastCompletedAt: 2021080506421746,
    lastStartedAt: 2021080506421745
  },
  nextPathToSync: '/photos/',
  restartSyncAt: '(sync is overdue!)'
]

Well, new photos did not show up this morning. Here’s the output of sync-paths:

[
  {
    path: '/photos/',
    library: false,
    next: false,
    lastStarted: '12 hours, 47 minutes ago',
    lastCompleted: '12 hours, 44 minutes ago'
  },
  {
    path: '/ps/library',
    library: true,
    lastStarted: '12 hours, 44 minutes ago',
    lastCompleted: '12 hours, 44 minutes ago'
  }
]

Just so I understand the logic… does sync only run if it’s considered stale, and it’s only considered stale if it last ran >24 hours ago?

So based on that report, sync ran to completion.

Right, and that interval is configurable.

If you click search, and click the saved “recently updated” search, and no new files are there, that must mean that sync didn’t pick up new files. I’ll look into that.

Actually, I think we’re fine (at least for now). 12 hours and 44 minutes ago was when I updated to beta.15, which would have kicked off a sync manually. New files WERE pulled in at that time. Then, I added some more files to see if they would show up on the next sync, erroneously thinking that would happen overnight. So I need to wait until the last sync was 24 hours ago.

Humbly I’d like to suggest that sync be scheduled absolutely, rather than relative to the last sync. Absolute scheduling produces reliable behavior, while relative scheduling could be affected by upgrades and manual syncs.

Well, it went stale again. I changed the syncIntervalHours to 6 in order to get through the troubleshooting process quicker.

Any ideas?

[
  {
    path: '/photos/',
    library: false,
    next: true,
    lastStarted: '15 hours, 8 minutes ago',
    lastCompleted: '15 hours, 8 minutes ago'
  },
  {
    path: '/ps/library',
    library: true,
    lastStarted: '15 hours, 8 minutes ago',
    lastCompleted: '15 hours, 8 minutes ago'
  }
]

I have some pretty big drives that took a long time to import–way longer than 24 hours–so to prevent them from being restarted before they completed, I made the interval count from last-completed, rather than last-started.

Sigh! I’ll check my test libraries and see if they’re misbehaving as well.

You could schedule absolutely, but only start the sync if there is not a sync job currently running. It seems like that would only ever be an issue on the initial import anyway. Just a thought!

Let me know if you need my logs!

Not trying to hijack, and I think this is the right thread for this. When does PhotoStructure by default look for new files? 24 hours of elapsed time after the last sync completed? Or 24 hours of PhotoStructure run time after the last sync completed? Or something else? I’ve updated to the non-beta 1.0, and had it running for an hour or so, and it’s not picked up any new files (or is it scanning in the background without any notification on the home page?). It has been days since I last used PhotoStructure so presumably it’s well over 24 hours since the last sync completed. No progress bar is shown.

My understanding is that the timing is based on the time that the sync last completed.

You can tell for sure what Photostructure thinks about the sync time if you go to your “About” page and scroll down to the “Sync information.” For instance, mine right now shows “last completed” 1 day, 15 hours ago. The status is “stale” because my sync interval is set for 6 hours, and 1 day 15 hours is more than 6 hours. Of course, the question at hand is why is the sync not running?

Thanks thohhh

I’ve just checked this dialogue, and it shows this:

Which is quite interesting. For a start, it’s been way longer than ~21 hours. Secondly, if I’m wrong and it did sync 21 hours ago, then that would be well after many additional pictures were added to my hard drive, so they should be in PhotoStructure (they don’t seem to be).

What 21 hours does look more like is the total amount of run time of PhotoStructure last synced (not elapsed time in the real world), which if so would be less than ideal as I don’t leave the computer on all the time and so it would seldom update, even if I reduced the interval down from 24 hours. Am I being daft here - it is very likely I am!