Adding a short note to a photo (title, description, ...)

I’d like to be able to add a quick note to a photo in my photostructure, to help me remember the context of it. Doesn’t need to be long - tweet length should be plenty for my needs.

FWIW there’s Title, Description, Caption, Subject, and a bunch of other related annotations tags.

I think it would be reasonable for PhotoStructure to support both Title and Description fields for assets.

I guess I could add a “Consider the following tags to be Title tags” setting (and an analog for Description), and first-one-not-blank wins?

Alternatives are welcome!

1 Like

Was going through photos I’ve shared in chat apps, and noticed many of my photos have captions. I agree it would be nice adding these tags to my assets in PhotoStructure, but then also having captions more immediately obvious when viewing photos. Don’t want to expand entire info box just to read a caption, when 80% of my photos won’t have a caption anyway.

Yep, I agree. By the ways where are captions stored in a photo if they were written in the iOS Photos app? Is it in the exif data?

Howdy @Adam-Photo_Curator – welcome to PhotoStructure!

Unfortunately, Apple has frequently changed how iPhoto/Photos it works – if you send me a zip with a photo that has a caption, I can tell you if it’s in the EXIF–but if you’d like to do the research yourself, I’m just going to be running exiftool, like this:

exiftool -json -struct /path/to/image.heic

You can brew install exiftool if you want to install exiftool with homebrew.

Thanks for the tip. I just ran exiftool and it showed that the caption is stored in “ImageDescription”. Maybe this can be integrated in photostructure, if it isn’t already :slight_smile: