Missing file - Quantization tables are too coarse for baseline JPEG

One of the images is not added to the library.

Using ./photostructure info f:/SynologyDrive/Photos/0001/0153.jpg (see output on the link above) we could see this file was not ignored but is considered as invalid due to the following warning

validFile: 'invalid file F:\\SynologyDrive\\Photos\\0001\\0153.jpg: Caution: quantization tables are too coarse for baseline JPEGā¶Ā³Ā²'

This file should be added to the library anyway. Optionally, we could be advised how to ā€œrepairā€ the file to get rid of the warning

PhotoStructureā€™s image validation uses libjpeg, which is the source of that warning:

$ jpegtran -outfile /dev/null ~/Desktop/0153.jpg 
Caution: quantization tables are too coarse for baseline JPEG

You can disable all image validation within PhotoStructure by setting PS_VALIDATE_JPEG_IMAGES=0.

(The images in my older libraries havenā€™t succumbed to these sorts of bitrot: they tend to be either fine, or completely scrambled).

It might be nicer to have a middle ground here, so if libjpeg only has a ā€œcautionā€ or ā€œwarningā€, those images would still be imported. If you think thatā€™d be nice, feel free to open a new feature request nevermind, I just implemented it:

# +----------------------------+
# |  validationErrorBlocklist  |
# +----------------------------+
#
# If any of the following patterns match a validation error found in a photo
# or video, the file will be considered corrupt and not be imported into your
# library.
#
# Note the patterns are case-insensitive, will be converted into a regular
# expression, and only need to partially match the error message, so, for
# example, a value of "caution" will ignore any error message that contains
# the string "caution".
#
# PS_VALIDATION_ERROR_BLOCKLIST="[\"corrupt\",\"invalid\",\"error\",\"failed\",\"nothing was written into output file\",\"partial file\",\"Cannot determine format of input stream\"]"

I also found that the timezone offset (that I fixed a while back due to your bug report, thanks!), is not generating a correct ā€œcapturedAtLocalā€ value. Iā€™m fixing this as well.

Thanks again for your assistance! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Before:

_PhotoStructureVersion: '1.0.0-alpha.0',
    capturedAt: {
      date: ExifDateTime {
        year: 1904,
        month: 1,
        day: 1,
        hour: 12,
        minute: 0,
        second: 0,
        millisecond: 0,
        tzoffsetMinutes: 122.06666666666666,
        rawValue: '1904:01:01 12:00:00',
        zoneName: 'Europe/Kiev'
      },
      localCentiseconds: undefined,
      offset: 122.06666666666666,
      src: 'tags:DateTimeOriginal'
    },

After:

localCentiseconds: 1904010112000000,

Offtop: Iā€™m impressed by your usage of the term ā€œcentisecondsā€. My entire life Iā€™ve seen tons of cases when itā€™s mistakenly called ā€œmillisecondsā€ while itā€™s obviously 0ā€¦99

1 Like