Powershell error in Windows Installer

Hello

I’m trying to install the Windows version, I tried both 1.1.0 and 2.0.0beta1, both fail in the installer screen with the error “Powershell isn’t working properly. This must be fixed before PhotoStrcuture will work properly on this computer. (unknown error)”

I have tried searching the reposiotry for this error message to no avail. I got the debug log but it doesn’t show any hint besides the arguments “-NoLogo -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass”. Since I’m not familiar with Powershell I don’t know what these do. Can you help me figure this out?

Regards

{“ts”:1676684986823,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“ChildEnv”,“msg”:“env”,“meta”:{“ACSvcPort”:“17532”,“ALLUSERSPROFILE”:“C:\ProgramData”,“APPDATA”:“C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Roaming”,“CLASSPATH”:“C:\Program Files\Portugal Identity Card\”,“CommonProgramFiles”:“C:\Program Files\Common Files”,“CommonProgramFiles(x86)”:“C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files”,“CommonProgramW6432”:“C:\Program Files\Common Files”,“COMPUTERNAME”:“PEDROS”,“ComSpec”:“C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe”,“DriverData”:“C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\DriverData”,“HOMEDRIVE”:“C:”,“HOMEPATH”:“\Users\bunnis”,“LOCALAPPDATA”:“C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local”,“LOGONSERVER”:“\\PEDROS”,“NODE_ENV”:“production”,“NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS”:“20”,“OneDrive”:“C:\Users\bunnis\OneDrive”,“OneDriveConsumer”:“C:\Users\bunnis\OneDrive”,“ORIGINAL_XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP”:“undefined”,“OS”:“Windows_NT”,“Path”:“C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MBLedSDK;C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MBLedSDK;C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MBLedSDK;C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MBLedSDK;C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MBLedSDK;C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;%PATH%;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\Scripts\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR;C:\Program Files\Portugal Identity Card\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\Scripts\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR;C:\Program Files\Portugal Identity Card\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\Scripts\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR;C:\Program Files\Portugal Identity Card\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Fiddler;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PyCharm 2022.2.1\bin;”,“PATHEXT”:“.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC”,“PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE”:“AMD64”,“PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER”:“Intel64 Family 6 Model 165 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel”,“PROCESSOR_LEVEL”:“6”,“PROCESSOR_REVISION”:“a505”,“ProgramData”:“C:\ProgramData”,“ProgramFiles”:“C:\Program Files”,“ProgramFiles(x86)”:“C:\Program Files (x86)”,“ProgramW6432”:“C:\Program Files”,“PSModulePath”:“C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules”,“PS_LOG_LEVEL”:“debug”,“PUBLIC”:“C:\Users\Public”,“PyCharm”:“C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PyCharm 2022.2.1\bin;”,“RlsSvcPort”:“22112”,“SESSIONNAME”:“Console”,“SystemDrive”:“C:”,“SystemRoot”:“C:\windows”,“TEMP”:“C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Temp”,“TMP”:“C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Temp”,“USERDOMAIN”:“PEDROS”,“USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE”:“PEDROS”,“USERNAME”:“bunnis”,“USERPROFILE”:“C:\Users\bunnis”,“VIPSHOME”:“\\?\C:\Program Files\PhotoStructure\resources\app.asar.unpacked\node_modules\sharp\build\Release”,“VIPS_MIN_STACK_SIZE”:“2m”,“windir”:“C:\windows”,“ZES_ENABLE_SYSMAN”:“1”,“PATH”:“C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MBLedSDK;%PATH%;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\Scripts\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NvDLISR;C:\Program Files\Portugal Identity Card\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Local\Programs\Fiddler;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PyCharm 2022.2.1\bin;C:\windows\System32;C:\windows\System32\webm;C:\cygwin64\bin”,“LANG”:“C”,“LC_ALL”:“C”,“ELECTRON_RUN_AS_NODE”:“1”}}
{“ts”:1676684986823,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“ChildProcess”,“msg”:“execFile()”,“meta”:{“command”:“powershell”,“args”:[“-NoLogo”,“-NoProfile”,“-ExecutionPolicy”,“Bypass”],“maxAgeMs”:600000}}
{“ts”:1676684991830,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“ChildProcess”,“msg”:“execFile()”,“meta”:{“command”:“powershell”,“args”:[“-NoLogo”,“-NoProfile”,“-ExecutionPolicy”,“Bypass”],“maxAgeMs”:600000}}
{“ts”:1676684996844,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“ChildProcess”,“msg”:“execFile()”,“meta”:{“command”:“powershell”,“args”:[“-NoLogo”,“-NoProfile”,“-ExecutionPolicy”,“Bypass”],“maxAgeMs”:600000}}
{“ts”:1676685000890,“l”:“error”,“ctx”:“PrelaunchChecklist”,“msg”:“powerShellIsOK(): failed”,“meta”:{}}
{“ts”:1676685001859,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“ChildProcess”,“msg”:“execFile()”,“meta”:{“command”:“powershell”,“args”:[“-NoLogo”,“-NoProfile”,“-ExecutionPolicy”,“Bypass”],“maxAgeMs”:600000}}
{“ts”:1676685004064,“l”:“info”,“ctx”:“\u001b[35mEndable\u001b[39m”,“msg”:“endEndables()”,“meta”:{“isTest”:false,“isSingleSpecTests”:false}}
{“ts”:1676685004065,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“\u001b[35mEndable\u001b[39m”,“msg”:“vacuumEndables()”,“meta”:[[“logger”,[“LogWriter(C:\Users\bunnis\AppData\Roaming\PhotoStructure\logs)”]],[“first”,[“BaseWindow(splash)”,“tagsCache stats”,“rawTagsCache stats”,“Idle”,“BaseFileCache stats”]],[“postdb”,[“PowerShell”]]]}
{“ts”:1676685004065,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“\u001b[35mEndable\u001b[39m”,“msg”:“endEndables(): ending first”}
{“ts”:1676685004077,“l”:“info”,“ctx”:“BaseFileCache”,“msg”:“stats”,“meta”:{“size”:1,“cacheMisses”:1}}
{“ts”:1676685004077,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“\u001b[35mEndable\u001b[39m”,“msg”:“endEndables(): ending postdb”}
{“ts”:1676685004078,“l”:“info”,“ctx”:“PowerShell”,“msg”:“childEndCounts”,“meta”:{}}
{“ts”:1676685004078,“l”:“debug”,“ctx”:“\u001b[35mEndable\u001b[39m”,“msg”:“endEndables(): ending logger”}

Howdy! Hopefully this article will help: https://photostructure.com/faq/windows-troubleshooting/#powershell-isnt-working-correctly

Know that many windows antivirus/anti-malware don’t work with PhotoStructure (or any cpu and sub process-intensive application). See this post for details: Antivirus Bitdefender identifies PhotoStructure as a Malware - #2 by mrm

Hi mrm, thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I followed that link already, I already ran the " Possible Windows PowerShell speedup" without any luck. I haven’t got any AV/FW alerts, but I did try disabling my AV/FW as well. Any other suggestions?

Well dang. And this happens using the latest alpha build?

What AV are you using, and what version of Windows is this? (10 or 11?)

Yeah, same with the alpha build.
winver gives windows 10 22h2 build 19045.2604
AV is ESET Internet Security 16.0.26.0, never had a problem with it

I suspect this is the issue. If you can try switching to Microsoft Defender and relaunching the alpha build, I suspect it may spin up.

You can also try the terminal-based installation option: https://photostructure.com/server/photostructure-for-node/#win10-install (be sure to switch to the alpha branch!)

so I disabled everything from ESET, rebooted, still same error. I tried on a different machine, without ESEt and it worked. Thing is, ESET doesn’t give any alarm so I doubt it is doing anything wrong. I suspect it is config related, because I remember doing something with powershell on this machine a long time ago and also, in this machine I ran some script to remove microsoft bloatware, so it could also be related. I will try the node install and report back

Hi There

The node install launches PhotoStructure fine. I was actually expecting to reach the error again and maybe hopefully could debug. However the version crashes immediately after I click continue. I don’t know which branch I download but I will google how to get the alpha or stable. If you arew interested in the error, it is:

Done in 0.13s.
PhotoStructure is ready: http://localhost:1787/
{“fatal”:true,“exit”:true,“status”:12,“pid”:29312,“ppid”:21300,“error”:“ChildService(web).onStdout(): Error: ChildService(web).onStdout()volumes() failed: Error: timeout¹⁶”}

Shutting down PhotoStructure…

The git branch alpha run pass the initial issues, however I get errors while trying to scan my library

exit {
reason: ‘Library setup failed: ¹: Timeout currentLibraryLockOwner after 25007ms’,
}
exit {
reason: ‘sync setup failed: Timeout currentLibraryLockOwner after 25007ms¹’,
}
exit {
reason: ‘web setup failed: Timeout currentLibraryLockOwner after 25014ms¹’,
}

I found this, should I try and test it? 1.0.0-beta.2 error: "Failed to scan system volumes" - #12 by Rodger

If PhotoStructure can’t get a library open lock, verify there’s no concurrent PhotoStructure also running on that box. I’d uninstall the Desktop version first. You can ctrl-alt-delete, pick Task Manager, and look through the process table to see what’s running on your windows box.

Worst case, you can disable this check with the skipLibraryOpenLocks setting.

1. Hit the Windows key, and type “environment”,
  2. select “Edit the system environment variables” control panel,
  3. click the Environment Variables... button in the bottom right, and
  4. click the top New... button
  5. Key: skipLibraryOpenLocks, value: true
  6. Click OK, then OK.
  7. Restart PhotoStructure