Preserve original file path as tag

When importing multiple libraries and build a new structure, some useful info is lost, e.g. meaningful directory names, or which original import was the source.
Preserving this as a tag would be helpful. Even better if there was some way to strip off known useless path components, e.g. a common root directory.

1 Like

This is exactly what I want as well, I just didnā€™t know the best way to describe it.

My current organization scheme is: images inside dated folders, but the folders also have event names. So I can currently search in windows for a specific topic, and that folder is returned in the search results.

The new photostructure library maintains my dated folders scheme, but strips the event names. Converting to tags somehow would be amazing.

:+1:

Thanks for taking the time to suggest this, @jeyrb!

Iā€™ve had several beta users ask for ā€œevent-name extraction,ā€ where theyā€™ve named directories YYYY-MM-EVENTNAME and they want everything in that directory tagged with EVENTNAME. Would this address what youā€™re looking for?

How ā€œdeepā€ are your albums? Do all the photos live in a single ā€œalbumā€/directory, or are there subdirectories youā€™d want to retain?

Maybe some examples from you two (and anyone else) would helpā€¦

In my case, Iā€™ve got (hundreds) of source directories (itā€™s why I made ā€œauto importā€), so listing all those directories as ā€œirrelevant-to-eventsā€ would be onerous. Iā€™d suggest a regular expression pattern (like [\d-]+[- ](.+) to extract EVENTNAME from YYYY-MM-EVENTNAME) but I suspect this will be too nerdy for most users.

Iā€™ve got some of my library organized in folders as well, and v1.0ā€™s browse-by-filesystem feature helps with viewing these prior albums. You can see these filesystem tags in the assetā€™s stream panel (tap ā€œsā€ or click the button in the bottom center), and in the asset info panel as well (tap ā€œiā€ or click the i in the upper right corner: the asset file directory names are clickable tags.

@Rodger you should be able to search for album names with v1.0: if this isnā€™t working for you, please tell me!

Here are some examples of my organization: (I currently have 1,377 folders named this way)

X:\Pictures\In Plex\2000ā€™s\2009\2009-05-12 international space station
X:\Pictures\In Plex\2010ā€™s\2019\2019-11-28 thru 12-8 Disney and Cruise vacation\2019-12-05 vacation day 8 - San Juan
X:\Pictures\In Plex\2010ā€™s\2017\2017-09-23 Naples Grape Festival

For that last example, I can successfully search for ā€œNaplesā€ and the appropriate pictures are returned in the search results. However, I would like to take adavantage of the de-duplication feature of photostructure. The only way I can currently see to do that is to allow photostructure to copy my photos and videos into a photostructure library.

Ideally I would like to have my pictures & videos contained in just a photostructure library, without losing the ā€œeventā€ information currently residing in the foldernames. I currently have 1.8TB of home videos and pictures, I donā€™t want to keep two copies of that data (besides backups of course) just to maintain the event data contained in the foldernames.

Iā€™m archiving 15 years worth of digital photos, from a mix of aperture and iPhoto and manually scanned images, backed up from several different machines. Directory paths are often long, and not useful, however some of those apps did have useful info, like an album name.
Usually its the leaf node of the directory tree that is most useful, most often the album name, though the root node can be useful too, where its the source directory e.g. ā€œjey.mbp15.bakā€ which gives some provenance

Some examples:

MacPro/Pictures/Pictures.jey/jey/BVIs Sailing 2007/._2394109784_26e4832ec5_o.jpg
MacPro/Pictures/macpro.wend/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Masters/Masters/2015/04/07/20150407-000700/3823751398.MP4
MacPro/Pictures/Pictures.jey/wend/Masters/Gigha 2006/._VIDEO_009 14580.mp4

In these examples, the album names ā€œGigha 2006ā€ or ā€œBVIs Sailing 2007ā€ obviously useful, but so is the tech provenance ā€œAperture Libraryā€ and the original location "macpro.wendā€™ or ā€˜Pictures.jeyā€™