Self-organized library by actually moving the assets

Hi,

i’m currently trying photostructure within my homelab server in docker. I really love the automatic organization feature and like to extend it.
My idea is to have a “self-organized” asset library, where i can “dump” pictures/videos from any source (multiple mobile phones, cameras) and the library organizes the assets itself. Meanin, the pictures are moved to a date-based folder structure like PS already does it.
The only difference is, that PS should actually move the asset to the folder structure. Now, i would have two libraries - one “unorganized” pile and the other is the PS-organized one.
For me i’d trust in PS to move the assets into the right subfolder. Is there some kind of feature already planned or available?

Michael

So, are you effectively just asking for PS to delete the original after copying it in the library?

Yes, exactly!

This would fulfill two important use cases for me:

1. Reorganise / clean-up my existing library (it’s really a mess)
  2. Adding new assets to my library and retaining the structure.

This behaviour is similar to the [https://docspell.org/](https://DMS i am using). My scanner drops a scanned pdf within a NAS share. The DMS picks up the document from that share and processes them (OCR, tagging etc.). After a successful processing/integration the original document is deleted from the NAS share and only available through the DMS.

Alternatively, you may define two different types of input folder. One is a read-only input directory (like it is now), and the other one is an “integration” folder (call it whatever suits you). Where assets are integrated - meaning deleted after a successful processing.

OK, so this has already been requested… Go vote for that feature request. The more the vote, the more likely it will get implemented.

1 Like

[voted]

Welcome to PhotoStructure, @mfreudenberg !

Apologies, I’d missed this post. @avdp is correct, voting for that prior request is great. I’d personally like that feature, as well, so it will get done eventually.

Would the directory-specific settings idea work for you? If you think of alternatives, feel free to add to that discussion.

Yes, that would probably work for me. My other idea was to define different types of import folder - like read-only and read-write types. Those would be defined in the settings.toml globally. Maybe, these ideas can be combined.