🌍 Support reverse-geocoding, to automatically tag assets with location names

This feature would enable a “Where” root tag. For assets that are tagged with a latitude and longitude, PhotoStructure would do a reverse lookup for the point of interest nearest to the location, and tag the asset with that place: like, Where/North America/United States/California/San Francisco/Golden Gate.

PhotoStructure needs a database to do these lookups, but rather than having an external API, each region database will be downloaded once when needed, to maintain privacy and minimize outbound RPC calls.

Related features that I’d like include viewing assets on a map, showing a map in the asset info view, and interpolating GPS locations of non-gps-tagged assets using external GPS tracks.

2 Likes

I like the sound of this feature, but as a lower priority than those that I’ve already voted on - so I’m not voting for this one but am letting you know I’d like it sometime down the road.

2 Likes

The ability to browse based on location is a game changer for me. Often I want to find photos or videos from a trip or an event, or all photos at a friend’s vacation home, and that does not correspond to folders or cameras or date ranges.

One side note: the reverse POI lookup is super slick, but I suspect that even a proof of concept view that leverages location data would provide significant value. For example, I’d love to be able to click on a map and just see all photos within X miles of that point. I struggle with POI granularity in iCloud today - “Sardinia” yields nothing but “Italy” does. Clicking on a map and providing a radius is deterministic and probably why i like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Imo viewing the assets on a map would be the coolest feature mentioned in this post.

1 Like

I think it would be great already if we can have a ‘where’ tag in Photostructure. I’d say that’s a basic feature, as 90% of my photos contain GPS coordinates and I often look at them in a map in other software like Mac Photos.

I second this, it’s a great feature but honestly I rarely care where I took a photo. But I do sometimes and it is a solid feature

I came to suggest that this feature would pair nicely with exiftool’s “geotag” command, which assigns location information based on a separately-recorded gps track. But then I noticed that was mentioned as part of the original post: interpolating GPS locations using external GPS tracks!

I started trying to keep my camera paired with my phone via bluetooth to record location information as I take photos, but it doesn’t work very reliably. That’s when I learned this can be done with a GPS track and exiftool.

The way I would personally love to see this work in photostructure is for me to be able to add the .gpx file to the same folder where the related photos reside, and have photostructure automatically tag the locations for any matching photos in that folder on import. Perhaps there could be a way to apply the same location information to other assets as well, but it isn’t necessarily the case that two photos taken near the same time were necessarily taken at the same location (different family members, etc.).

Another more complicated feature you could add would be to extrapolate a gps track based on the photos that do have location information (exiftool’s ‘inverse geotagging’) and then give users the ability to apply that location information to other photos taken around the same time that don’t have that information. In practice, this might allow me to take location information embedded in smartphone photos and extrapolate how to add location information to photos taken on my camera.

Obviously, all these features to edit location information are only useful if there is a way to view that information in photostructure, so this is all lower priority than a “Where” tag and/or a map view. Just some ideas for the future!