Support Star Ratings in metadata

All photos I process are starred 1-5 stars, and I use these to filter smaller or larger sets - e.g. for the photos from a vacation I might want to show only the 4+ stars to others, but browse the 3+ stars when I’m looking back myself. I apply star ratings in Lightroom, and I think this is a standard field (rather than e.g. the lightroom colour tags) so it would be great if this could be supported in the info box and in search (and preferably filters too, if it makes sense).

1 Like

Currently the star rating is used for the “favorite” feature. See this post for more details: Ability to quickly favorite a photo while browsing - #18 by mrm

I wonder if replacing the “favorite” capability with a 5-star rating capability would satisfy your (very reasonable) request in addition to maintaining the ability to quickly “favorite” photos while browsing in Photostructure.

Yes, it would - I personally think 5 star rating is probably more useful than binary favourite/ not favourite…

Also, 5 star ratings seem to be an IPTC field that I think is implemented in a fairly standard way across multiple programs (at least, the stars I apply in lightroom show up in every other program I’ve tried that also has star ratings (and also in windows explorer)), whereas favourite / flagging seems to be inconsistently applied between programs and not an IPTC standard, so it might be more “useful” to support ratings since they’ll sync with other products. But, this is just my opinion, I just started using PhotoStructure yesterday and I don’t want to immediately demand you do everything my way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with having stars instead of favorites, but it’s not a big deal to me.

I mostly wanted to thank @PS_2923 for being so reasonable instead of trying to rewrite the world on day two :slight_smile:

Welcome!

1 Like

Has there been any update to if Photostructure supports the IPTC standard 5 star rating system? I have a huge collection of lightroom images which are rated 1-5 stars. I appreciate this favorite system is a nice feature, but I respectfully think is goes against the open standard. Would happily pay for photostructure if this feature were implemented- overall the product looks fantastic.

Does PhotoStructure have a github where roadmap/issues can be tracked?

For my reference:

IPTC Image Rating

The value shall be -1 or in the range 0…5. -1 indicates “rejected” and 0 “unrated”. If an explicit value is missing the implicit default value is 0 should be assumed.
IPTC Photo Metadata Standard 2023.1

XMP:Rating

real / (a value from 0 to 5, or -1 for “rejected”)
XMP Tags

PhotoStructure v2.0-beta thru 2024.3.2-beta (latest as of this post; no there hasn’t been another stable release yet much to the chagrin of us all and the developer. But work is ongoing and stable is hoped soon™)

Tap :heart: to like or “fave” the current asset.
PhotoStructure | How to archive, remove, and delete photos and videos in your PhotoStructure library

(Paraphrase) Uses the XMP:Rating tag to read/write “faved” status. No immediate intent to add options for 5-star or 10-star rating systems, although knowing Matt’s desire for this to work for everyone I’m sure it will eventually happen if this gets enough votes. For now he’s trying his hardest to get out something for a stable release (although he does keep implementing features he personally finds useful) then his next major priority is multi-user support. After that, I could definitely see him revisiting this topic and supporting the additional use-cases.
Ability to quickly favorite a photo while browsing

configurable setting minRatingForFave / PS_MIN_RATING_FOR_FAVE
photostructure-for-servers/defaults.env at main · photostructure/photostructure-for-servers · GitHub

1 Like