Understanding File Organization and Sync Reports

1. What does Photostructure do with files it doesn’t recognize?
    eg; I have a bunch of .xyz files in the source/originals directory. These are not recognized by PS.
    Does rejected in Sync report mean it’s not copied into the newly organized Library?

I would love to be able to find these and move them all into a safe place for Non PS Supported filed before I “delete the originals” ™ — I have multiple backups. Is there a way to this easily?

1. I’ve named some files with the image titles and when they’re copied over it seems like their sidecars are copied into the library but the names are not updated to reflect the new time based names that Photostructure uses in the auto organized library. Subsequently these show up in the sync reports as errors. Any thoughts on how to manage?

As you guessed, the sync report will state that the file was rejected, along with a reason why it wasn’t imported.

PhotoStructure supports basically all image and video formats from any camera–if you find a format it doesn’t support, please tell me and I can look into it!

If you’re comfortable with a terminal, here’s a command to get that list: https://photostructure.com/server/tools/#which-files-in-a-directory-didnt-get-imported

I just checked the code that handles copying sidecars, and it seems to be using the correct filename recipe: the destination’s basename plus the original sidecar’s file extension.

Are you using the latest v2.1 alpha?

Also: if you could give concrete examples, that might help make sure I’m understanding the problem correctly:

1. The full path to the source image
  2. Your value for the assetPathnameFormat setting
  3. If your template includes the captured-at time, the result of something like ./photostructure info --filter=capturedAt /path/to/source/image.jpg (or just share the captured-at time of the source image)
  4. What you expect should be the name that PhotoStructure copies your source image to
  5. What you expect should be the name of the sidecar for that source image

Is @sandeep describing .xyz media files, or .xyz files that aren’t standard photo/video media at all?

At this time PhotoStructure is clearly just for photos/videos and @mrm absolutely shouldn’t put much development time into expanding that until the photos+videos are super-solid. Looking at the feature requests list, that is years away :slight_smile: But long-term, I think browsing and sharing a lifetime of general digital memories would be awesome.

For example my “Family” folder is 99% pictures, but also has a “Jose wedding” folder that contains related non-photo/video assets.

• reception-slideshow.ppt PowerPoint file that was played during the reception
  • best-man-speech.docx text file of the best man’s speech
  • ceremony-song-01.mp3 one of the songs played during the ceremony
  • reception-playlist.m3uBackup music playlist that was played during the reception
  • attendee-contacts.vcf holding contact info for many of the folks who attended the wedding.
  • (Note I changed all filenames above for privacy, but I do have an actual folder with these actual filetypes that idk how to handle).

Other than keeping them all in one folder, idk how to clearly associate all wedding files with each other. I would love if when browsing Jose’s wedding album, PhotoStructure would tell me non-media files are also associated with that album. Maybe another placeholder thumbnail that says “Open folder to see more files” or something like that?

To be clear, I do not want PhotoStructure to hold my entertainment or work files. Just files related to family memories.

Entertainment stuff should be shared with Plex or similar, and work stuff shouldn’t be shared at all (except when it happens to be a memory, e.g. New Year’s party).

There is an interesting intersection between entertainment and memories, for example talent shows where I performed, choir/band performances where my kids performed, etc. But I suppose those are still best classified as memories though, not entertainment.

At this time PhotoStructure is clearly just for photos/videos and @mrm absolutely shouldn’t put much development time into expanding that until the photos+videos are super-solid. Looking at the feature requests list, that is years away :slight_smile: But long-term, I think browsing and sharing a lifetime of general digital memories would be awesome.

hard agree. I don’t need PS to manage those files - I just want to be able to find and save those files while I delete the 100K files that already PS imported.

I would love if when browsing Jose’s wedding album, PhotoStructure would tell me non-media files are also associated with that album. Maybe another placeholder thumbnail that says “Open folder to see more files” or something like that?

This is effectively what I want. And, on import I want to be able to only be able to keep these in the old directory structure for safe keeping and delete everything else.

If you’re comfortable with a terminal, here’s a command to get that list: PhotoStructure | PhotoStructure Tools

This is helpful

Are you using the latest v2.1 alpha?
yes

RE - Repro

1. What you expect should be the name of the sidecar for that source image

It’s possible this worked as intended and that the XMP was copied over.
It’s just that in sync report there is a complaint about the XMP had no matching original.

I will investigate and report back with specific repro + examples.

Thanks!