Some Roadmap available?

Hi,

I am currently using Piwigo to host my pictures and I would like to move to Photostructure (and will gladly pay for it).
However I am waiting for a big feature (automatic facial recognition) to make the move and it is not clear when it will be implemented (is it v1.2 or v2.0 or ?).
Is there some kind of roadmap somewhere to have an idea how Photostructure will look like in a few months ?
Thanks

Welcome to PhotoStructure, @DebianUser !

I unfortunately don’t have an ETA for every feature request, but I try to share progress almost continuously…

Here’s what PhotoStructure’s releases look like:

1. As soon as I release a version (like v1.0), I may do a bugfix release (like v1.1), and then

2. I do this search: https://forum.photostructure.com/c/feature-requests/7/l/latest?order=votes. Note that I don’t prioritize strictly by vote: there may be related features I want to add in a batch, like in the case of v2.0: I added “like,” “hide/archive”, “remove”, and “delete”).

3. While I’m working on the feature, I also try to fix high-impact bugs as they pop up. I also keep the release notes updated as I implement features or bugfixes.

4. Once the feature set is ready, I release one or more “pre-release” builds, fix any issues that pop up, and finally do a release.

5. Rinse and repeat.

FWIW, face detection will be one of the next features I work on as soon as v2.0 is released.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer. I am really curious to try Photostructure once the facial recognition is implemented.

I haven’t fully understood if it will be compatible with my workflow though.

Currently I have a server at home which stores all the pictures (using simply folders). Everyone family member can simply connect to the server and upload pictures.
I also have a VPS that I rent which has Piwigo: I upload from my home server the pictures I want (using rsync) and Piwigo then is providing the interface to see pictures for friends & family.

I begin to have trouble managing all my pictures at home and I would like to avoid having a special software at home and a different one on the VPS.

It seems that Photostructure could provide an elegant answer but I am not sure. Perhaps installing 2 instance of Photostructure (at home and on the VPS) which could somehow be synchronized on a subset of the pictures (the one I want published ?).

Having only Photostructure on the VPS would not work as I don’t have the hard drive space on the VPS.
And having only Photostructure on the home server would also not work, as it is not online 24h/24.

Anyway it is really nice to see Photostructure developing ! I hope that I can jump on the bandwagon later.

1 Like

This is certainly a solution for what you’re describing. You can certainly run multiple libraries simultaneously (even on the same server: you just need to set up each library to use different ports).

I think this would be a lot easier once sharing is built out.

Stepping back a bit: why do you run a VPS? Is it a workaround for limited upstream bandwidth from your home? I’ve found that browsing a large PhotoStructure library over a 10mbs link is actually fairly reasonable (especially image-heavy libraries). If necessary, you can also set up transcoded videos to have a max resolution, frame rate, and bandwidth to make streaming reasonable over constrained upstream links.

Oh thanks now I start to understand !
PhotoStructure is not really like Piwigo and is (currently) not designed to publish photo on Internet.
Perhaps I read too fast but indeed I thought that you could share your pictures with friends & family.

Piwigo is really powerful for that aspect, with many plugins and extensions.

Ok it seems that I’d have to keep Piwigo, but I could use PhotoStructure as my home repository/library. I just need to think about how PhotoStructure and Piwigo will work together (currently I use rsync to synchronize specific folders that I want to be published).

As for the VPS, I needed one because it is available 24h/24 and has a large enough upstream bandwidth. Also my home network is not accessible from Internet because I prefer to have a clean separation between my web server and my home network.
As a side note, I needed a VPS anyway to backup all my files (remote backup) so it is not used only for sharing pictures (which would have been too overkill just for this purpose).

Thanks a lot for your answers !